Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's Not FAIR!

How many times have we heard that line? Okay, to be fair, how many times have we said that ourselves? "She's so cute, it's just not fair", "Look how fit she is, that's not fair", "I wish I could go on trips like they do" etc.... But hey, Life's NOT fair. Although I have momentary lapses of reverting back to childhood, complaining (in my mind only, of course) about the unfairness of life, I have grown up and realize that's just how life is. With my adult perspective I'm actually thankful Life isn't Fair. Where would the fun, growth and challenge be?

Well, since I have 7 beings in my home that haven't yet reached that conclusion not a single day goes by that I don't hear the phrase, "That's not fair!!!" Here's the latest one:

One of our goals this summer is to get our home organized from top to bottom. I told the kids that by Friday, June 27, their bedrooms need to be deep cleaned and organized. Yesterday I gave another friendly reminder. One of my daughter's reminded me she would be gone all of next week on a fun trip with her friend. I nicely informed her that she could spend the next two days doing it, making sure it was done before she left. "But...", (okay here it comes),..."That's NOT FAIR!!!, she wailed. Everyone else gets to play today and I want to play too." My response, "You're right, it's Not fair it's just the way it is. If it WERE fair then each of your siblings would get to go on a week long trip as well. But instead, while you're off playing for a week we'll be working, cleaning the house, strawberry picking, making jam, etc...."

When I first had the wailing and gnashing of teeth that life wasn't fair, I used to panic and try to set things "right". Anything to get rid of the noise that wailing and gnashing of teeth make. But now when I hear the cries of "It's Not FAIR" it usually makes me quietly laugh and yes, it's also brought on some out loud belly laughs from me.

3 comments:

Georgia Fish Henrichsen said...

Krista, that is a work of art! Love it!

The Laundry Queen said...

I hear those words a lot at my house, too! What a coincidence! When one of the kids complains that life is not fair, and wants me to do something to make it more fair, I agree with them and set about finding things they can do to help make life more fair for ME! I mean, if they are so concerned about fairness they should be more than willing to help, right? They love it! Har!

URallwinners said...

I thought I would let you know that I finally got pictures on my blog! Yeah! I'm trying to make things a little more fair between our two blogs. It's not fair that I get to see your pictures and you don't get to see mine@! Love ya! Megan