Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Schoooools Out For Summer!

As of three hours ago my 5 school aged kiddos are out for the summer. ARGHhhhh! I love my kids, I truly do and every other year I would say, "I can't wait for summer".

This year seems different. I think it's because we have such a wide range of ages, with one being an infant. My younger kids are content to swim at the pool, hit a different park each week, do the summer reading program at the library and all the fun events, going to the free movies downtown, and just hanging out with neighborhood kids. My bigger kids aren't entertained as easily.

At this moment I have three 13 year olds sitting on the couch eating their convenience store stash as they watch t.v. There are two neighborhood girls here visiting Camille, one for Harris and a friend with Dallon. That makes 12 kids at my house. I guess that's not too bad, I know families with more kids than that. How DO they do it?

I am looking forward to not having to wake up at 6am to get kids going in the morning. Of course Hannah's schedule is my schedule and that's about the time she wakes up (hmmm, we'll have to work on that). I'm looking forward to no homework, at least no homework assigned by someone else, I'll be giving some out. (I know, I'm such a mean mom! I've heard it before, nothing new). I'm looking forward to neighborhood, cul-d-sac, gatherings in the evening. Moms and dads visiting while the kids run around and play. I'm looking forward to family togetherness, tons of fresh fruit, the canning that goes along with it and possibly a trip to Switzerland (Ron has been working hard and we're waiting for end of year, June 30, to see if he qualifies for the company trip). I'm looking forward to getting my house organized. (One of the perks to having a large family; more helpers, or "slaves" as my children would say). And I'm looking forward to lazy days by the pool IF we ever get some summer weather. Here is Camille with her friends Summer and Preslee as they walked home from their last day of 2nd and 1st grade.
Who would have thought they'd be needing coats.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Summer hasn't arrived anywhere yet, I'm thinkin'. So far Rusty is being a good sport about our 'summer' on the Oregon coast. He sent an email to his family complaining and everyone from Wisconsin to Arizona complained right back.
Hey! Enjoy those kids...they grow up and will be gone soon!
Mom