Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dallon's Tonsilectomy and Adenoid Removal

On Monday, October 5th, Dallon went in to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. The week previous we went in for the pre-op appointment and he was given a tour of the surgical area so he would know what to expect. They showed him the special jammies they'd have him put on, where he would be taken for the operation and then where he would be reunited with his parents.

Somewhere in that tour Dallon came to the realization that if he didn't put the jammies on he wouldn't have to have the operation. Over the weekend he just kept telling me he was NOT putting on the hospital p.j.s

The morning arrived, we left at 6 a.m. leaving the big kids in charge while they got ready for school knowing that Aunt Nat would be there soon to step in and take over my morning responsibilities.

Dallon was very nervous, not fits or tantrums just EXTREME silence. Once we arrived they handed us the jammies and I went with him to get changed. For a brief moment I thought he was going to follow through with his threat of not putting on the jammies. I pointed out they were covered in fish and he could think of Grandma Fish while he was wearing them and know that she was thinking of him and loves him.

I have to admit my heart ached and the tears started rising to the surface as I had to watch Dallon walk off to the operating room while holding onto the nurses hand. Such a simple surgery but I worried for him with how nervous he was and knowing he was going to have a rough week ahead of him.

The week has gone great!!! Better than expected. He refused to take the strong codeine medicine and is just taking Tylenol. I filled the freezer with Popsicles and the pantry with Gatorade and Apple Juice but not much of it has been touched. Well, I take that back, most of it has been touched and is gone thanks to the older boys in the house! He prefers eating whatever we're eating and I have had to force the liquids down. Dallon has been very quiet and to save his voice, when I ask him a question, he uses the thumbs up or down sign.

Day four hit hard at midnight with Dallon in tears with pain. That was a rough night but we got through it. His breath STINKS!!! My kids were shocked at first and were wondering where the awful stench was coming from. The doctors said he had to miss two weeks of school. I thought that was a ridiculously long time but there is no way I'm sending him back to school until his breath clears up.

The neighborhood kids have been great. Grant, Jacob and Cody have come over to hang out with Dallon. I warn them he can't run around and play and that he's not really talking but they just end up sitting next to him with DS's in their hand quietly playing games. I'm thankful for the great friendships my kids have on our cul-d-sac.

Our doctor did say they have found that kids who have their tonsils and adenoids removed have a growth spurt. Hmmmm, definitely not something that Dallon needs!

1 comment:

Kirby said...

So sad. Did you get any pictures of him at the hospital? You need to put some updated pictures of the kids on here, we haven't seen them in forever! How is Becca doing in CC by the way?