... and diaper changing skills tested. In the "about me"portion of this blog I mentioned I cry easily over certain things. I didn't realize how quickly I'd prove that to be true.
Today being Mother's Day the primary children were on the program to sing. It's something I always enjoy. Having a Sunbeam this year I was looking forward to it more than usual. With a shy gene that hasn't seemed to skip any of my kids, I was wondering what Dallon, our Sunbeam would do once all the primary kids were called to come forward.
I sat at the end of our pew mentally checking off each portion of the program as it finished. We were down to the youth speakers, then it would be the primary children. When the first speaker stood up to speak a fussy Hannah (4.5 months old), with tones escalating, was quickly passed through six pair of hands to her final destination, me! (My kids are always begging to hold Hannah, it's interesting how quickly that changes when she's poopy and screaming). I rushed out of the chapel and hurried to the mothers room figuring I had a good five or six minutes before both speakers were finished. Racing against the youth speakers I was trying to get diapers changed and back to the chapel before they finished their talks. Although I could have heard the singing from the mother's room, nothing beats seeing their sweet faces as they sing.
Forgetting to bring wipes I hurriedly wet a paper towel and proceeded to do the dirty job. In the middle of it I heard the last speaker, a young man finish his talk. I pictured him making his way back to his seat and all the three to eleven year olds storming the stand. Changing diapers becomes a little more challenging on Sunday when the infant is a girl and is wearing tights but in this particular situation I think I set a personal speed record. We rushed out of the mother's room just as the angelic voices were starting to flow out into the hall. Only one side of the chapel doors was open and there was a dad with his infant standing right in front of it. Okay, I'm tall and usually can see what I need to over other people's heads but this time I just didn't have the right angle to see where my sweet boy was standing. The dad turned to me and mentioned that his little girl didn't get up to sing, "Well, then get OUT OF MY WAY" was my internal reaction and I impatiently squeezed past him and positioned myself in the back corner of the chapel. I hurriedly scanned the stand to find our debut singer. I mentally acknowledged Camille (8), good she's there. Oh, and there's Bekah (9). Scanning the group I spotted him standing with six and seven year olds (he's tall and blends in with the older kids) and I felt my whole body relaxing, ready to soak in the precious moment. They sang one of my favorite Primary songs, a new one called, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". As I let the Spirit touch me through the beautiful words and the sweetness of the children my heart was tugged and the tears began to swell.
Okay, I just read this post to my sweetie and got chocked up when I got to the last sentence. He smiled and knowingly said to me, "and they're beginning to swell again, aren't they?" All I could do was nod.
Lots has happened lately...
12 years ago


4 comments:
Awwwwww. Very sweet. I had to listen to the primary from the mothers' room, since Cindy Lou woke up extra-early on Sunday morning and her schedule was off. But then, I don't have a Sunbeam (will next year!), and CTR 8 Newton is such a teenager I could hardly expect him to show any excitement.
Would you consider possibly changing your background color? The black makes things hard to read. Thanks!
Hey janeannechovy! Thanks for coming on over. Cindy Lou and Hannah need to get together, maybe a meeting at the zoo?
I agree about the black. I used the offered template and didn't know how to change it. I'm soooo not computer savvy. I'll get right on figuring that out. Eventually I'd like to create my own page.
Krista, I love your blog...and I love you and your 7 wonders!
Mom
What a sweet story!! It makes me look forward to having my little one in Primary. I still have a couple years!
Post a Comment